Sunday, January 22, 2012

Starting the journey

This is my first message... and my first attempt at a blog. I wanted a place where I can share thoughts and ideas and prayer concerns with you guys, that won't be as public as FB. I'll still be limited on what I can share here, and still won't be able to paste, P's full name until the adoption is finalized. But, several of you have asked me to share our journey, and being able to do so is actually helpful to me, as well.


Ever take a walk with a young child? Not long after you set out on your walk, the excitement and eagerness wears off and they get tired... and whiny... and the walk becomes so long for tired little feet. It's not long before they plead, "Carry me, please?!?!" A few weeks ago, I had a moment like that. Still in the newness of settling P into our family and lives, added to the pull of wanting to be with family for Christmas, and weariness of sleepless night... i was exhausted and emotionally warn out. I drove home by myself and prayed to God, at least able to recognize my own exhaustion and whining. "I'm tired... and I'm weary... and I realize I'm still only at the base of the mountain and haven't even begun my real climb, and that in itself is exhausting. Will you carry me? I just need to rest before I can climb some more." God is so patient, He didn't chastise me for my thoughts or emotions and I'm glad that I know my God is big enough to handle a weary child. The next morning I woke up, with a phrase rolling over and over in my head, "upward journey". God began to show me that although the climb ahead is still a long road, it's doable... after all HE called me to this path, so HE certainly will equip me to climb it successfully. There are many areas in my life that are an upward journey... slow yet life altering changes that can only successfully be brought about step by step. God began showing me several... and how they were a long road ahead, it was a climb I could succeed.


Suddenly my health journey, and helping P adjust and thrive in our family, work, unknowns in life all seemed to ease their hold on my stride. This is a climb I can do. That day changed my outlook on life, really. I gained an eagerness and a hope for the path God has called me to, and an excitement for my own Upward Journey Home. God reminded me of a lesson that He'd taught me years ago, this journey wouldn't be a destination... but a path I get to walk until I get Home. I don't even know where all this path will take me, and what amazing sights I'll be able to see... but I DO know that He'll be with me, and that He is good. And as I walk onward, He is leading me onward.

Thanks for joining me on the journey. :D

1 comment: